Monday, December 29, 2008
Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Now Nokia and Rahman have come together again to launch a new music album and the name of the album is ......'Nokia Connections' ;)
Seems like every time a new XpressMusic is to be launched Mr. Rahman is called in. The album will be out by Jan 2009 with 9 tracks.
More info :
MeraNokia offers a range of relevant services, in Agriculture, Education, Astrology and Ringtones, for our consumers. TheseHow to get and more info here.
services are either subscription-based or on-demand, depending on the type of content. These special content updates are
accessible exclusively through our MeraNokia application, which is pre-embedded on select Nokia devices such as the Nokia
2600 classic and the Nokia 1680 classic.
The complete MeraNokia package consists of the following suite of services:
A subscription-based package that gives daily updates on Market Prices for crops, Weather Information and Agri-Information & Tips.
The Education service comprises two different offerings with individual subscriptions. These are Learn English (which provides daily tips to improve English language skills) & General Knowledge.
The Ringtones service is an On-demand service, where ringtones from two categories (Devotional & Top 10) can be downloaded for a nominal fee.
This service provides daily SMS horoscopes for the selected sun-sign, via subscription.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008
One of the best Nokia box I've seen so far.
The BH-602 is the first ever bluetooth headset I'll be using. I usually do not read manuals before using any device but I think I'll have to reads this ones carefully, althouth I was able to pair it with the 6210 couldn't do the same with the N95. There are different key combinations (Power + BT button) to set/reset/re-pair etc.. , also the pass key which is '0000' is needed to pair. Couldn't have figured out without opening the manual.
The 6210 is a S60 FP2 device, same like the N78 so expected transitions/effects in this one too but it comes with no such themes.
The slide is smoother , better than the N95.
The keys as well as the keypad are great.
The camera/photos are good but the way finder is always grainy. The camera has a 'panorama' mode which seems cool. Only modes the camera supports Night mode and Sequence Mode.
GPS connects fast. Upgrading to Maps 3 was tedious , but it went smooth. Just followed the instructions and it worked. Will post more about Maps3.
Downloaded NGage (not there by default). Played 'The One' , pretty interesting just like Tekken. Trying hard to defeat Raven.
Accelerometer present, no need to install FlipSilent, its present as a setting. I do not like the auto-rotation feature but turning on the sensor activates Auto-rotation. And flip silent will work only if sensor is on ;(
Menu is reorganized. 'My Own' is back. So all installations go into 'Applications->My Own' , also since 'My Own' cannot be moved to other folders , its always one more click to get to our applications.
Some games are included , 'Applications->Games' (marble/jelly chase/brain champ). Preloaded apps , Yahoo Go/we:offset/dictionary.
Stay tuned for more about Maps3 and the 6210.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
If you have already tried out most of the GPS applications out there and now there's nothing to do, try out this GPS game , 'GPS Mission'. Although I installed, haven't tried it out yet. This image gives the details of playing the game:
(click image to zoom)
Would surely create a mission once I am a lil free. Just thought that more the number of people have the game more interesting it would be to play it. I think its worth trying. Also they reward the best mission with an N82 at the end of each month which makes it more worth trying it ;)
Sunday, November 16, 2008
Next I got this BT prompt in a mall. I was at Shoppers Stop and got a confirmation prompt "Receive Bluetooth message from Shoppers Stop?" , again I said yes. There were around 4-5 messages that followed and they were mostly offers on various brands over there. So no harm here too.
So if you own a 3rd edition device stop that habit of switching off the BT after every file transfer ;)
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
Friday, October 10, 2008
Monday, October 06, 2008
Friday, August 29, 2008
That circled text is RDS, usually its used to show track information or some advert. The RDS/AF usually dimmed, brighten up once RDS reception starts.
Wonder how to make FM transmitter work, don't think its supported in our region.
Friday, August 22, 2008
During my travel I walked - took a bus - took a train and last took an auto. My experience with the N95 GPS fix quality in buses and trains has not been so good, so this time I used the N78. As can be seen on the map, I lost the fix just a couple of times. I took care that I was standing near the door or window of the bus/train. All the while the app constantly kept updating the speed, map plotting, latitude/longitude and all the graphs pretty accurate. A day earlier when I tried out the app I was amazed to see that it even counted the steps I took accurately. Although I could have uploaded my track once I reached office I choose to show it live so that my friends can track me in real-time. Any photos taken along can be uploaded and as they contain location info they can be seen along the track exactly where I took them, applies even to videos taken.
So at the end of my travel all I did was log on to http://sportstracker.nokia.com and saw my entire route. To put the pics I'd taken during my travel just hit 'Upload to service'. Simply amazing. A travel recorded and that too with pics I took. Vaibhav rightly mentions that this app is just not for the sports junkies, anyone can use it, atleast I'll take care that I take my N78 along for every outing of mine ;)
Here's the link to my track. Click on the pics I've taken to see description. Even updated my sidebar to show a widget of my track. Get your own widget from here.
Thursday, August 21, 2008
- 2MP or 5MP camera
- 16Gb or 16Gb + 8Gb
- Is the touch screen that important?
- Go with Apple or Nokia (the most trusted brand in India)
- Will there be a good resell value for the iPhone?
- How easy is it to install applications on the iPhone?
- Why buy form Airtel or Vodafone, why not any store of my choice?
I do not hate the iPhone. I love its user interface and thats it. Will I pay 30K+ for a phone just because I like its user interface? NO WAY.
The N96 too i believe will be 30k+ but atleast it has all the features to justify the price.
Some more Info:
Common view for SIM & Phonebook Contacts
To overcome a common problem of forgetting to change the profile
once your meeting is over, timed profile is the solution. Simply define
the time when you want a particular profile to change.
Push Mail Compatible
Load any of the push mail clients be it Mail for Exchange or provided by operators & access your corporate e-mail.
High Speed USB
Convenient PC to N96 Device connections for media transfer
Speed up to 480Mbs
Tips & Tricks for your N96
Register yourself to My Nokia from your device & receive tips & tricks on how to increase the productivity of your N96. SMS alerts are sent to registered users educating them on different shortcuts to perform a task in the least possible time. For e.g. Long press the Menu key to know the "Open Applications" & press "C" key to close the running application from the open applications window itself.
Common Composer for Messages
-Automatic recognition of a text message or a Multimedia message. Movement a picture or Audio is inserted into a message, the message converts into a Multimedia message
-In N96 you not only get a Music Player, but also get a access to a online Music store to purchase music. With FM radio you would never run out of music & with dual speakers you get the best in class audio quality. The innovative music player lets you play the music as per the Artist, Album, Genres & Composers. This make a song search a lot easier.
Buit in 5 Mega pixel camera with Carl Zeiss Optics Lens gives you the best photographs possible. You not only can click photographs but share them online from the phone directly. If that is not all you can upload the same post location tagging, so that you can remember the exact place where the photograph has been clicked.
- With Nokia PC Suite, you can effortlessly transfer all your photos with a single click of a mouse.
- Click a photo
- Location Tag a photo
- Upload / e-mail the photos
- Sync with your PC
- View them on a Rotary Gallery
Run more than two applications at any given point of time. For e.g. open a PowerPoint, playing a game, surfing the internet & typing a SMS at a given point of time.
With N96 this will all be done with ease. To know what all applications are running simply click on options – Show Open Apps.
-With N96 you get the best of browser. With some of the unique features of S60 browser, you get the best
in class browsing experience.
1. Easy Read: The text of the news article gets adapted to the mobile screen
2. Auto Bookmarks: No need to enter the web address again if you have opened the web browser once.
3. Page Overview: Displays the complete web page on your mobile scren & makes navigation lot easier
4. Visual History: Easy navigation to the page you have already visited & want to re-open the same page
5. Find: Find any text on the entire web page.
Access Point Differentiation
-With clear distinction between Internet Access Point & Operator Access Point (WAP),
you would never struggle to figure out, which one is a internet access point or a WAP
access point. Just insert your SIM & phone would do the rest. No need to even ask the
operator for the GPRS settings.
Keep downloading new widgets to your N96.
Download the best of widgets for mobile devices. Download the same from Download! Application on your device or simply type http://widgets.nokia.mobi onto your mobile web browser to download more widgets.
Wave Secure: Protecting your phone and data
-The effortless & wireless way to secure everything on your N96. With WaveSecure you would be able to
- Lock your phone remotely via Internet
- Track your phone whenever a SIM is changed
- Create a backup of your data (Contacts, SMS, Call Logs & Calendar entries)
- Wipe out data on the phone remotely via internet (Contacts, SMS, Calendar Entries, Videos & Memory Card)
- Restore the data back to your N96 (Contacts, SMS & Calendar Entries)
-Explore English, anytime, anywhere. Get the handy & trustable reference during meeting & presentation anytime. With over 2,40,000 words, phrases & definitions in A~Z format and help for spelling & grammar the OXFORD English dictionary in your N96 is the easiest way to increase word power, without carrying the thesaurus with you.
Mobiola Screen Captire
Phone's screen on PC. Wonder never cease on N96. Now you can use your mobile to give presentations in your PC wirelessly. Screen Capture application enables you to view your phone's screen onto your PC by establishing a connection via USB or Bluetooth.
Indi SMS – Type in English & it will translate into local languages
Talk to your own people in your own language. With this application in N96 you just need to type in English & it will be converted into any of the 9 languages. Hindi, Punjabi, Gujrati, Bengali, Tamil, Telgu, Kannada, Marathi & Malayalam. Indi SMS application also integrates with message Inbox.
Download more applications, try them for free via "Try for Free". Download Productivity application, ringtones,Wallpapers, games, themes & much more all via Download! Application on your device.
Utilizing downloaded content made easy
Instant playback of media files
Easy personalization with downloaded content
Quick launch of intsalled java
Also try out this fun game contest (Project6XN) , if you are lucky enough you can win yourself a N96.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Go here for service appointment and here for repair status.
This may not be of any help right away but may be later, the form asks for State but lists cities, and there are no cities. In short mandatory fields cannot be filled ;( and the form thus cannot be submitted.
Go here for more Repair info.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Finnish-based mobile telephone giant Nokia has joined hands with the wildlife conservation organization, World Wide Fund for Nature, (WWF) to help conserve tigers in India.
Under this initiative, Nokia and WWF-India, will work jointly towards providing education for sustainable growth, increasing knowledge on tiger conservation in the villages surrounding tiger reserves.
Friday, July 18, 2008
I wanted to format the memory card but could'nt find its icon in the Tools menu, where its always been since the 2nd Edition.
Its now shifted in the FileManager application, along with its options ;)
Even timed profiles are back with FP2 and Darla is very happy about it.
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
- It's one of the slimmest N-Series I've handled and its a candy bar.
- NaviWheel : Touch sensitive navigation wheel
- GeoTagging : Location information attached to the photos you take. I tried this out and it works really well. Worked well even from my balcony. A GPS lock is really quick on the N78.
- Really impressive is the Maps application. Although I didn't download the voice module the navigation option was really cool, I searched for a nearby Chinese restaurant and went all the way following the route on Map's.
Rest of the good features are because of Symbian OS 9.3 on it
- *#0000# now opens up Device Manager instead of the standard dialog, showing some more info. The best part is finding new firmware availabiltiy is now just *#0000# ->Options->Check for updates. I did a firmware upgrade OTA in just 3 mins ;)
- The 'Open recent photo/Gallery' key next to the camera key is no more. Wasn't required at all, thanks.
- Access point grouping : Set priorities to access points, cool feature.
- Internet radio now available in Radio application itself.
- More 'Menu View' options, Grid/List/Horse Shoe/V-Shaped
- Standby themes : Horizontal icon bar/ Basic / Vertical Icon bar
- Themes with lots of effects and transitions. Worth mentioning is the Haze theme.
- Bluetooth with option to block specific devices.
- Contacts now has option to show Phone memory/Sim memory/Service numbers.
- Alerts and other messages have been changed , like when switching off the Alert is "Good Bye".
When battery is full , "Battery full. Unplug charger to save energy" etc... have been added.
Lots of such settings and options now available.
- As I've already said, the keypad is really bad. Its all cramped up. 5 mins of continuous use will definitely give a painful thumb.
- 3.2 MP camera. With 6220 and N82 having the same price margin I think this phone should have got a 5MP on it.
- As I did with the auto-rotation feature on the N95, I switched off the NaviWheel feature. I feel a lot of work needs to make the NaviWheel operating smoothly.
- When outdoors its really difficult to hear any voice even with the earpiece volume set to full. There's a little improvement after I upgraded the firmware.
- The radio stops taking next/prev button commands from the headset once the radio application goes to the background or the keypad is locked.
- Can't see any screensaver :( , not even the default one. On keypad lock it feels the phone is switched off. This feature (which started with the 6630) , the light sensor, would turn on/off the keypad lights depending upon the surrounding light conditions is of no use on this phone. To see the numbers the lights should remain ON.
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Wednesday, July 09, 2008
The Nokia Prize contest link led me to this page
Submitting the page gives a HTTP Error 500 :(
What I understand is, it's just information to get in touch with you and market the E71 but whats the CONTEST thing all about.
Tuesday, July 08, 2008
1. The have upto 12 speakers and sound better than any high end phone.
2. You can watch TV on it
3. Large screens ( have seen this myself, screen is as big as iPhone's and really bright)
4. Some even touch screen enabled
5. No guarantee or warranty, No bills
6. Can buy 5 of such instead of 1 N95.
7. They usually look like a mix of two or more Nokia phones
Any one has any experience with these phones, do share.
1. Asks for a Firefox extension to be installed
Seems like it does not work with Firefox 3.
2. Memory status on mouse over on main window
3. Phone specific icons in Explorer
The challenge is open for Indian residents and is pretty simple.
1. Register yourself here.
2. Play a simple flash game - A location related question will be asked and you just have to guess its location on the map. The more accurate you point the more points you score.
3. Once you finish the ten questions you'll have a personal page.
4. Spread this page with your friends and ask them to become your fan. More fans = more chance of getting shortlisted.
5. 10 shortlisted will get a technical lesson on how geotagging works. Depending upon the clues given, geotag places in your city as fast as possible.
6. 2 shortlisted teams from the city race will now compete to become the ultimate winner.
City winners - N78 for the leader and Bluetooth accessories for the team
Final winner - N78 for the team and leader goes to Turkey.
Although the challenge is open to Indian residents while registering choose one of these cities, preferably the one you know well or the one closer to you , Mumbai/Delhi/Bangalore/Pune/Kolkota/Hyderabad/Ahemadabad/Chennai.
Sunday, July 06, 2008
Its my personal opinion.
Thursday, July 03, 2008
Monday, June 30, 2008
He pointed out that the young consumers of India with an average age under 25 years, will lead this transformation of the mobile device becoming their "first screen'' ... full story
Microfinance is going to be one of the pillars of Nokia's strategy. The idea is that while India may be adding 8-million subscribers a month, the country still has a huge untapped base thanks to the initial costs of buying a mobile phone. This is where Nokia will run pilots and trials to gauge consumer response in select markets to come out with specific offerings that make buying mobile phones more affordable. ... full story
Friday, June 27, 2008
Wednesday, June 25, 2008
Saturday, June 21, 2008
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Monday, June 16, 2008
Whatever, this new inclusion "I Love you too" will surely save some texting time ;)
Found this here.
Friday, June 13, 2008
- If multiple windows are open in the browser the easiest way to close the open window is to press the 'C' key, instead of 'Options->Window->Close Window'.
- Do bookmark this link ( http://m.google.com/m/products?source=m2) , it lists all google products available for mobiles. iGoogle is the latest addition
Gmail app fast startup:
If your gmail app is taking too much time to startup (mine took more than 2 mins) there is no way to tweak it up for fast startup the only thing that can be done is remove the app and install it again. This too will eventually slow down so again reinstall.
Thursday, June 12, 2008
The battery cover lid used to fall off , some how the clips which hold on the lid from the inside got loose which I pulled out a bit to fit it tight again. Out of the three clips one broke coz of my pulling but still the lid holds on and the battery does not fall of like it did. The slider is not as smooth as it used to be.
That was for the N95, but even though I take good care of my N958G somehow the silver coating on navigation pad has come off
Wish I'd given the N95 to my wife with a case/cover :(
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Read what Nokia's CEO has to say about that, full story here.
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Sunday, June 08, 2008
Thursday, June 05, 2008
Conclusion : "humans are creatures of habit, mostly visiting the same few spots time and time again"
More sensors :
"There are so many sensors that you could conceivably attach to a phone that you could do all kinds of monitoring activities with,...
For example, Nokia have put forward an idea to attach sensors to phones that could report back on air quality. The project would allow a large location-specific database to be built very quickly."
Read more about it here.
Approximate prices of other NSeries devices :
Nokia N-77 - Rs 15,000/-
Nokia N-95 8 GB - Rs 28,250/-
Nokia N-95 - Rs 21,100/-
Nokia N-81 8GB- Rs 15,700/-
Nokia N-81 - Rs 14,300/-
Nokia N-76- Rs 13,300/-
Nokia N-73 Music Edition - Rs 13,000/-
Nokia N-73 Normal - Rs 11,250/-
Nokia N-70M - Rs 9600/-
Nokia N-72 - Rs 7630/- (source : Techlivez)
Find prices of other phones at Techlivez, which they say they'll keep updating.
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Tuesday, June 03, 2008
Friday, May 30, 2008
Nokia India homepage now flashes some Fusion challenge. But the problem is that the relevant page does not open because of some error. Anyways I'll try some other time to see if it works. Seems to be some contest to promote the N78 and as usual the prize(s) would be the N78 itself.